Thursday, March 14, 2013

Trelex, Switzerland, and the Trelex Residency of artist Nina Arnth-Jensen Rodin, is my temporary home for March, 2013.  I sit in the north side of the attic studio space, and I can see whether the mountains welcomed snow the night before or not. I am happy to see snow. Because I am away from home, anticipate a move, have lost a home in the past, and create homes in places I wouldn't otherwise select due to relationships and the general course of life, the question of the identity of home is prevalent in my work. If not outright, it is a constant underlying theme.

In much of the work I have made so far, the sewing machine has become an integral tool. The sewing machine used with paper gives reference to quilting and all metaphors of sewing therein (motherhood, care taking, protecting, homemaking). The sewn drawings resemble blankets, which only emphasize the ideas just mentioned. The sewn line works functionally for the form and shape of the work as well as serves as an element of drawing.

The sewn line also reminds me of the topographic maps one carries when on a great adventure.  

My children immediately showed up on the walls first, and thus began the blanket series. I leave my little room and see them first thing in my work space on the way to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. The blankets are not so much for them, but of them, and thus for me.























1 comment:

  1. Hi inga

    Jen sent me the link and I am now having the best morning ever reading this and marveling at it all....

    So gorgeous!!!!

    ReplyDelete